Dropcam Alternative: 3 Reasons to Shop Around
There’s no question Dropcam is getting a lot of buzz these days. They have a well designed IP camera and cloud storage service to go along with it. Yet, there are many reasons you might want to consider an alternative. Here are three:
1. Use Your Existing Hardware. Despite the buzz Dropcam is getting, IP cameras have been around for years (and no doubt existing IP camera companies must be pulling their hair out that Dropcam came out of nowhere and stole their thunder… ok, I digress). This means many people have existing hardware they don’t want to throw in the garbage. The only thing you’re missing is the cloud service — that’s where an open platform like Camcloud comes in. The service works with a large number of IP cameras, provides lots of cloud storage and the mobile apps you need.
2. Different Devices for Different Needs. Need an outdoor camera for your yard? An indoor camera for your basement? Or do you prefer a dome camera for your retail store? I could go on of course, but you get the idea. Bottom-line: Many people don’t fall into a “one size fits all” category. So why not purchase the exact hardware you need for your different locations and not be locked into one indoor device.
3. Flexibility on the Cloud Service. Oh yes, and the cloud service. That’s what we do at Camcloud and we think our service is flexible, supports many different cameras and meets most people’s requirements for simple, effective cloud storage. Not everyone wants a “cloud DVR” that constantly uploads high resolution video 24×7, chewing up your monthly data plan, nor do they want or need a service that only works with one type of camera.
So if you’re considering an alternative to Dropcam, let me propose the following:
- 720P Foscam device. There are a bunch to choose from, but their most popular is the FI9821W. I’ve embedded a detailed video review below that compares the specs on this camera with Dropcam (courtesy of Awkward Hamster).
- Camcloud for cloud storage. We have several plans to choose from and if you’re using multiple cameras you’ll find our cloud storage options offer a generous amount of storage that should more than meet your needs.
Anyway, shop around, listen to the review below and try one of our plans for yourself… good luck!
Dropcam vs. FI9821W Device Review:
If you’re looking for a surveillance camera cloud storage service, try out Camcloud’s free plan! We also have several paid plans that offer a large amount of cloud storage.